Video Poker – Play Safely on Betnero Casino
Video poker is like a slot machine but focused on five-card draw poker. It’s an extremely popular game in the online casino industry, and unlike regular slots, it’s a game of skill, not luck.
At the casino, it’s played on a machine similar to a slot but has developed into online casino gaming and can, therefore, be played on desktop, laptop, tablet, or mobile phone.
Betnero has all the leading video poker games from the major software developers, NetEnt, Micrograming, and Playson, and players can play video poker variants like Jacks or Better and Deuces Wild in a secure environment with real money or for free.
Video Poker – Most Popular Variations
Betnero has all the most important variants of video poker.
- Jacks or BetterCalled initially Draw Poker, this version is the source of most video poker games. If played with the perfect strategy, the RTP is an attractive 99.54%.
- Deuces WildThis game uses a single deck of 52 cards where all four Deuces (or twos) act as wild cards, which can be used to replace a dealt card to make a winning hand.
- Aces and FacesThis slightly more complicated video poker game includes increased pay-outs for each four-of-a-kind hands. The standard 8/5 game places a hand of four aces higher than a Straight Flush with the pay-outs at 80 to 1 compared to 50 to 1.
- Bonus Poker / Double Bonus PokerBonus Poker is suitable for new players with its simple strategy but good returns of 99.17%. It offers more substantial pay-outs for particular four-of-a-kind hands, and a mixture of four aces will earn you 80 coins for a 1-coin bet. Double Bonus Poker is a well-liked variant with winnings for all four-of-a-kind hands being double the regular version. Expected video poker RTP is 100.17%.
- All AmericanAll American Video Poker is not too complicated and a pleasing variant on Jacks or Better, taking away the double pay on two pairs. Online pay-outs are better than live ones, with expected returns of 99.37%.
- Tens or BetterSimilar to Jacks or Better, this game uses a single deck, but wins are more common because the lowest hand is a pair of tens. Although the pay table is adjusted accordingly, there is also a double button allowing players the chance to double their winnings. The RTP of the full pay variant is 99.13%.
Video Poker Rules – How to Play
Players upload a bet, press deal and will get five cards dealt. Cards can then be exchanged (one or all) to gather a victorious hand. A second deal is made, and if the cards match any winning hands, the player wins the corresponding prize.
Winning hands tend to be the same as normal poker; – the highest ranked hands in order are Royal Flush, Straight Flush, Four of a Kind, Full House, Flush Straight, Three of a Kind, Two Pair, and Jacks or Better.
Players also need to think about the pay tables, which determine how winning hands are rated and their corresponding payouts. By placing minimum bets, the player will only get back a small corresponding proportion of payout, so bets of 5 coins receive the highest payout.
Video Poker Odds & Return to Player
Essentially, all casinos have a statistical advantage over their players, or the “house edge”. Video Poker is a game with the lowest house edge, and with odds much better than slot machines.
Stronger, winning hands are rarer and therefore, have higher odds, for example a Royal Flush initial draw is 1 in 649,740. Statistically, it’s likely that the player will get a pair every few deals, but statistics are averages and anything is technically possible.
Odds on the second draw change significantly, for example if a player holds four cards to make a Royal Flush, odds change 47 to 1.
Payback percentage or RTP (return to player) shows how much of a player’s bet, on average, is returned to them. Slot machines fall in at 70-90% and 97-99% for Video Poker (with some even higher). For example, an RTP of 97%, means playing over 100 rounds means a 97% return investment in the game.
Odds in different Video Poker games can be used to pick the best game or to make educated decisions.
Video poker machines use a Random Number Generator (RNG) to ensure game outcomes can’t be predicted. Although a complex matter, in summary, numbers are generated continually, and they determine which position cards will be dealt.
Video Poker Strategies and Tips
Some of the strategies may include the following:
- Know your winning card combinations i.e. what the best chances are when throwing and holding and learn all the rules.
- Always hold certain cards to get Royal Flush, Straight Flush, Four of a Kind, Full House.
- Aces are less likely to form winning combinations compared to J/Q/K, so players should consider ditching them, despite them being higher value.
- In Jacks or Better, keep pairs and draw three cards unless you have four cards for a Straight Flush or Royal Flush.
- Hold all four cards for a Flush or Straight. The only exception being when you have four cards to a Royal Flush.
Choose the best games, for example with best RTP, but which also match your strategy. For additional support and for the social aspect, consider joining a player’s club to learn more and meet new people.
Video Poker Bonus – Up to NZ$2,800
Betnero has a generous welcome bonus for new players that can be used to play video poker. New members get up to NZ$2,000, but also on offer is a high roller welcome bonus up to NZ$2,800. Loyal members can collect Betnero Points and be part of the VIP Club, which allows players to get bonuses and other advantages. (Check out the Betnero Promotions page to get all the information about our casino bonuses).
Video Poker FAQs
How does video poker work?
Video Poker software runs using an RGN (random number generator), which does not actually shuffle the virtual cards but generates a sequence of numbers, which in turn determine which cards are dealt. The RNG operates continually, to ensure fairness, even when there are no players.
Is online video poker legal in New Zealand?
Yes, NZ Lotteries Commission and the Totalizator Agency Board licence and regulate gaming operators.
What types of video poker are available?
There are two ways that Video Poker games differ firstly, how the game is played (for example, the game variants listed above), and secondly, what pay-out schedule is used.
Do you play video poker the same way you play real-life poker?
Essentially, yes. If you know how to play real-life poker, you’ll easily be able to play video poker. Hand rankings are similar, video poker royal flushes get a bigger bonus, both games have variations, there’s no need to bluff/raise/call-in video poker, and you could win less but more frequently in video poker.
Which video poker games have the best odds?
Double Bonus Poker and Deuces Wild both have RTP over 100%.
What are the advantages of video poker?
The main advantages are the low house edge and skills elements. The game is easy to grasp, entertaining, and has high pay-outs.
How many decks are in video poker?
Most video poker games play with a standard 52-card deck. At least one joker is used in Joker Wild games.
What is the best video poker pay-out?
Most video poker games pay-out over 99% with optimal pay, and some pay over 100% on specific play over a longer period, such as full pay Deuces, which pays back 100.97% for getting four deuces.
What’s the difference between playing video poker live and video poker online at a casino?
Online video poker has a better selection of games, is easier to play, and is more convenient and private. Playing video poker at a casino has the social aspect and exuberance of the casino.
How is video poker different from slots?
Slots pulls are random, and there is no control over your odds of winning. Pay-outs are also lower between 90-95%. In video poker, however, you do have control over at least a few aspects of your play.
Do progressive jackpot video poker games exist?
Yes, there are progressive and non-progressive video poker games. They add money to a jackpot as players say, hit a royal flush, but these games have reduced pay-outs as a consequence.